Thursday 19 October 2017

Confession Of A Planetary Scientist: 'I Do Not Want To Live On Mars'

Confession Of A Planetary Scientist: 'I Do Not Want To Live On Mars'

I am a planetary scientist and once astronaut candidate finalist (read: space nerd). But I have something to confess: I do not want to live on Mars. While certainly interesting scientifically (e.g., seasonally-varying polar caps; transient methane plumes; permafrost), Mars is not particularly compelling as a long-term human destination.

Continue reading...

1 comment:

  1. re: tinyurl.com/ybusbsgb: Confession Of A Planetary Scientist: 'I Do Not Want To Live On Mars'. Her #1 issue: radiation. Let's address that with the Omaha Shield.
    Putting NASA's Mars shield to work: a triad of radiation protections for the Unlimited Mars Career. Goal: no crewmember suffers a career-limiting radiation dose, over any career duration on Mars.
    The Omaha Shield proposal: tinyurl.com/ybpeypm5

    ReplyDelete